Skip to main content

Accept Yourself

This is all just a bit of silliness really, but the other day I was browsing "the Youtubes" and came across this young lady, Cydnee Black, doing a makeup tutorial and talking about her eye color. I think she has a really unique platform on her channel. She has fun experimenting with makeup and talks about deep issues. She is adorably canid.

It is greatly upsetting to think people have the audacity to accuse her of wearing contacts when she in fact has beautiful crystal eyes. She received "nastygrams" telling her to accept who she was and not hide her true self. The truth, however, is the exact opposite. I guess trolls gotta troll.

As I continued to watch her video wherein she shared her and her family's history, and the bullying she received growing up, I started to noticed similarities in myself. No, I am not as attractive, nor talented as this star, but I have grey eyes and sectoral heterochromia in one and partial heterochromia in the other. Ms. Black had done some research in her condition and learned of Waardenburg Syndrome.

While I know it's not uncommon for a white lady to have grey eyes,  I was curious and roamed over to the internet to browsed the symptoms myself. I looked specifically at Type 2 as Cydnee had done. Heterochromia: Check. Hearing loss: Check. Webbed digits: Check. Lights started going off like crazy for me.

All throughout my school years, middle school more damaging than any, I was bullied for having multi-colored eyes. My dad affectionately called it "mud" in my eye, but this one kid in particular was nasty to me growing up. I came from a small town, and she was always around.

I also have severe hearing loss. It has been a running joke with everyone that has come into my life. I finally, at the age of 34, got a hearing test and learned just how awful my hearing was. I was fitted for hearing aids a month later. Basically, someone needs to be speaking at 70 decibels (the same as a vacuum cleaner) in order for me to understand what they are saying. Anything less than that is just noise.

Finally, there are several individuals in my family, including myself, who have partially webbed toes. Something I haven't paid much attention to until I looked at Waardenburg Syndrome. It's amazing how I have these three characteristic and never considered the they were connected.

Thank you Ms. Black for enlightening me and giving me a little break from this pandemic and having fun diving into a rabbit hole.

Finally, don't listen to anyone. You have it right in your video. Be you, live your best life. Everyone else can fork off. (I added that last bit).

Comments

  1. That's right. Very well written. We all need to do a better job of just being ourselves and not worrying about all the noise around us coming from people whose opinions shouldn't even matter to us. I wish it was a lesson I learned much earlier in life while I was still in school dealing with my own bullies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This Pandemic Sucks

It has been said, and "meme-d" all year, but 2020 is the dumpster fire that we still don't know how long it will burn for.  My family and I have weathered this storm well, up until now. We have reached a point, like most parents, wherein there are no right choices. I am terrified about schools opening. Our oldest has started his first year of "big kid" school. My children, and myself if I am being honest, crave structure and discipline. Without, what's the point in getting dressed, or doing anything other than watch TV until our brains turn to mush?  That is what we have been doing all summer. My husband and I have tried, and tried, and tried to impart knowledge onto our children. I have printed worksheets after worksheets. Bought all the necessary essentials for scientific experiments, and through all our well-meaning plans, one fact remains. We are not qualified to teach our kids anything.  Our children need school, but the current status of th